To bring about meaningful change, individuals need ongoing encouragement and tools. We're here day-in and day-out to provide the resources our communities need to address the most pressing social issues: child welfare, education and health. We work to make sure every child, family and community has what they need to achieve their best.
Here's one way we're serving the community:
The Prevention Council and The Kirk Family YMCA will offer the Guiding Good Choices® and Staying Connected with Your Teens Parenting Program in August 2012
These sessions target parents of youth in grades 3 through 12 and include information on:
- healthy beliefs and clear standards in the family
- strengthening parenting skills
- strengthening family communication skills
- dealing with peer pressure by learning specific refusal skills
- challenges of adolescence
- building protective factors
- reducing risk factors
- networking with other parents through the middle and high school years
This program is available for Parents, Faith Based Groups, Civic Organizations, Schools, Neighborhood groups, Businesses as a Lunchtime presentation, and Health/Human Service organizations.
Cost to parents attending the 4 week program is $40.00 paid by the first session with cash or certified check payable to Prevention Council of Roanoke County. A $10.00 deposit is required one week prior to the first session to secure your space.